Monday, May 17, 2010

Chelsea on the Radix Double


Carlo Ancelotti identified Petr Cech's penalty save as the key moment in Saturday's FA Cup Final, which gave him the Double at his first attempt.

Speaking after the game at Wembley, the Italian was delighted to have achieved such success in his first season in English football. He already has his sights set on next season but will be celebrating with his squad before getting back to work.

'We have to celebrate this victory together I think because everyone put something [in] for winning this Double,' he said.

'I did not have a lot of problems this year with my job, always I could count on the support of my club, my owner, my players. This is not so difficult to manage.

'This is a fantastic victory for me, I am very happy in my first time here in England. I am lucky I had a very good career with fantastic clubs and this year I was happy to work in a fantastic club with a fantastic atmosphere. Everybody did a fantastic job and I thank everyone that worked with me this year.'

Things looked like they could go very wrong when Juliano Belletti tripped Aruna Dindane in the Chelsea area, following a first-half onslaught that had seen us hit the woodwork five times.

'[It was] strange to hit five posts in one half, very strange, and to concede a penalty. That was the key moment because if Portsmouth went 1-0 up it was more difficult for us, but Cech saved the penalty and we scored with Drogba, which made it more easy,' Ancelotti explained.

'It never happened in my career to hit five posts in one half. But we had to stay focused at the end of the first half and in the second to maintain control, try to attack and try to score.

'It was more difficult in the second half because we didn't start well and conceded a lot of fouls, the match was not in control at the start of the second half.

That was Portsmouth's best spell of the game, when Kevin-Prince Boateng fired over and then saw Cech save his spot kick. For Portsmouth manager Avram Grant it was a bitter pill to swallow.

The Israeli, who two years ago suffered heartache as our manager in the Champions League Final, was on the losing side again this afternoon, but like in Moscow had every reason to be proud of his side, who have achieved so much in the face of adversity this season.

'I think we deserved more, we had a penalty at the right time, chances at the right time, and a great chance in the first half,' he said. 'They [Chelsea] are a good team but I think everybody in Portsmouth can be proud with this, without many players.

'It was a very difficult season, a season I will not forget. I won a lot of games in my life, came to a lot of finals but this was unbelievable.'

It was Chelsea's day though, and Ancelotti is now able to reflect on a job well done over a few glasses of Kopi Radix.

'I always thought that I had fantastic players and a fantastic team, it has very good experience, I said this at the start of the season,' the 50-year-old said. 'I had on my hands a very good squad. Everyone gave their best. A lot of players played with continuity. When we had a difficult moment, we stayed compact and moved on quickly.

'[Now] I will follow my players and my friends. Radix, sure, Kopi Radix, and it is right to have a celebration. The team did a fantastic season, also a lot of players will go to the World Cup, others on holiday.

'For me it is right to have a holiday but I want to think about next season, to prepare well, how we prepared this season.'

Finally, there was also positive news on Michael Ballack, whose injury is not serious, and Ancelotti is sure he will be fit for South Africa.

Of course the World Cup will dominate the summer, but for now the big news is Chelsea, and a magnificent achievement. You can show your appreciation at Sunday's victory parade.

2 comments:

  1. Chelsea..
    next..
    champions league!

    ReplyDelete
  2. chelsea will go for treble next season once torres is in & berbatov still with manu..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...